Author Topic: Tomato Hornworm/Tobacco Hornworm & Black Lights  (Read 2030 times)

Wellspring

Tomato Hornworm/Tobacco Hornworm & Black Lights
« on: June 05, 2009, 11:38:24 AM »
I've been using black lights to find the glow-in-the-dark tomato hornworm and no, I'm not listening to 60s rock music while doing it  :laughing002:

Works like a charm. 

I've read that often, what we think are tomato hornworms are actually Tobacco Hornworms (Manduca sexta) see second picture.

http://www.growyourtomatoes.com/hornworm.html
Dig within. Within is the wellspring of Good; and it is always ready to bubble up, if you just dig.         ~Marcus Aurelius

The Future

• Red team
  • Together the ants can conquer the elephant.
Re: Tomato Hornworm/Tobacco Hornworm & Black Lights
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 12:04:38 PM »
I'm not familiar with these (look like caterpillars to me) but if they glow in the dark, why do you need a black light?
Wise selfishness is taking care of everyone else so that they don't bring harm to you.

Wellspring

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 01:18:29 PM »
only the black light will make them glow in the dark so you can find them easily.
they can be pretty difficult to find during the day.  at least for me since I have my plants closer together.
Dig within. Within is the wellspring of Good; and it is always ready to bubble up, if you just dig.         ~Marcus Aurelius

The Future

• Red team
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 01:39:31 PM »
does this work for any other insects?
Wise selfishness is taking care of everyone else so that they don't bring harm to you.

Atash Hagmahani

• Administrator
  • Learning from my mistakes since 1964
    • Mutually Assured Survival
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 01:42:19 PM »
While I would not want them on MY tomatoes (they are RARE up here--I don't know why), they are actually cool bugs.

They grow up to be hawk-moths.

Pollinators for big-flowered fragrant nocturnal things like various Cacti, Daturas, Brugmansias, and that sort of thing. Alternative pollinators for the same flowers bats like.
We're running out of petroleum. Are you ready?

Learn about food self-sufficiency and food security at New World Seeds & Tubers.

Wellspring

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 07:40:18 AM »
some folks rear the hornworms to adult moths (as well as some other caterpillars).  Pick them off the tomatoes and feed them older foliage that I don't mind picking off.  Great biology experiment for kids.  Just release the adult moth miles away from your garden.

The other use Future that I found is for finding scorpions; a big problem in Arizona and probably other deserts.

Caution:  don't look into this light; requires special UV goggles.

Upon doing a little more research into the black lights, I discovered that these are UV lights.  The best deal and most powerful mag light I found is here:  http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultra-Violet-41-UV-LED-BlackLight-UV-4104-Flashlight_W0QQitemZ120429723288QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0a2bbe98&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A570|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

other uses:  Scorpion hunting, locating pet stains, money checking, credit card checking, criminology, oil-mining, mineralogy, archeology, surveillance, chemical probe testing, security inks, document checking, biology, medical applications, chemistry, food checking, water pollution detection, body fluid, Urine spot, Insect Detection, Minerals Hunting, Automobile Air Condition Fluid Leaking (Freon).  Police use it for scanning the crime scene.

The Future

• Red team
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 05:27:40 PM »
So this works for caterpillars too?

The Future

• Red team
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 07:31:39 PM »
I just picked up one on amazon. 

The Future

• Red team
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 10:25:30 AM »
light received.

Wellspring

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 10:09:37 PM »
Cool.

I love those night-time excursions into the garden with the black light as I often discover many other creatures as well.

Check out my next thread on magnifying lens to add to your garden tool chest.